Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Whats in a name...

I was trying to think of a good name for my blog, and this seemed most appropriate. This is a blog about my favorite hobby, Warhammer. I am not convinced that I will have much to say that is worth saying, but I frequently like to type out my thoughts on warhammer to my friends scattered through the country, and then then send them via e-mail. I thought this way, my friends could avoid long posts from me in their inbox, and instead check my blog. If, along the way, I picked up a couple strangers that enjoyed reading my musings as well, so much the better. Additionally, I was hoping this might inspire me to think on and write about my favorite hobby a bit more.

I chose the name "combat resolution" because its my favorite aspect of the game. I have heard some people complain that its not the overall wounds done in combat that decides who wins and loses in this most critical of warhammer phases, but rather various modifiers. They often say that its stupid and complain that wounds, and only wounds should decide the outcome. I have to disagree. First of all, on a minor level, as a historian at heart, I am keenly aware that many factors went into deciding the outcome of a battle, and unlike a sporting event, the final "score" didn't necessarily matter. In game terms, I like that combat resolution does two very important things. First off, it limits "herohammer." By this I mean, no longer can the uber-lord of destruction roam freely around the board and smoke people. He may do 4 or 5 wounds to a unit, but if he attacks a unit with a full 3 ranks, a warbanner, and outnumber, he is beaten before the combat begins. I like this. In addition, it allows for a great deal of tactical planning in-game. The randomness of dice rolling adds a nice element to the game, but I enjoy playing the game in a manner that allows me to calculate the odds and combat resolution, and thus be reasonably confident of success. Much like poker, I enjoy trying to get stuck in when I have the best of it. And like poker, the random element then provides the drama of the game.

No comments: